The Colorful Journey of Video Game Animation
The technology is so developed that we all are familiar to realistic images in our video games. Even the virtual reality technology is taking the world of gaming to next level. But it was not the same way as it is today. The journey of video games started from playing black and white Pong to Virtual Reality games available today
Black & White
- In 1958, William Higinbotham invented ELECTRONIC TENNIS, a black and white game using cathode ray tube similar to that used in old televisions.
- In 1972, Arcade version of ‘Pong’, another tennis game debuted. Pong cut costs with a cheaper black and white HITACHI TELEVISION screen. Color overlays were used were as a way to introduce colors by placing cell phone sheets placed over the TV. Magonvox was the first game to use this technique. But the overlay was also used by four player version of ‘Pong’.
- In 1975 ‘Pong’ came up with its own home edition.
- First ever space shooting game ‘Space Invaders’ came out in 1978.
- 1979 was a fabulous year for gamers! ‘Galaxian’ was the first game to use RGB colors.
- In 1985, SEGA master system was released with 32 on-screen colors and in 1989 SEGA GENESIS game console came up with 64 colors at a time.
- In 1994, first time Sony PlayStation appeared with 16.7 million colors display.
- In 2007, video game sales hit $41.9 Billion.
- In 2010, Sharp introduced Quattron 3D TV which offered RGBY.
- ‘Call of Duty: OPS’ and ‘Modern Warfare’ were produced with COLOR BLIND ASSIST to aid those with color blindness.
Today’s video games are played on a wide range of console and offer millions of colors. Speed has also drastically improved. Hope you have enjoyed this colorful history of video games.
We are from Video Explainer Mumbai. If you want to any kind of explainer videos then do contact us.